Well, I’m looking at my closet again and feeling bad about the waste.
I spent all these years building a business casual wardrobe for the office, but now that I’m working from home permanently, and the totality of my professional human interaction will be from the shoulders up, I’m realizing I don’t need 90% of what I own, and the remaining 10% isn’t meeting my needs. I’ll be slowly putting up a lot of my clothes for sale on Poshmark if you guys are interested.
One category of clothing in my closet that is definitely over represented is sweaters. In the office of the old days, the male overlords had the AC inexplicably blasting at all times. It was almost always freezing cold. This led to my steady (over-)accumulation of light sweaters and cardigans. As a result, I didn’t bother purchasing nice blouses or nice short sleeved tops because it was pretty much a guarantee that they’d get covered up by sweaters anyway.
These days, I’m keeping the temperature at home comfortably at 72 degrees F. A sweater feels fine for a short while at this temperature, but after about an hour of work, I feel overheated and need to rip that extra layer off. So now I’m in need of a few more presentable short sleeved tops. My criteria is simply that they feel timeless and easy.
I recently found this oversized mandarin collared shirt at Alter and love it. The coconut shell button detail that goes almost all the way up to the top adds a little formality but remains casual and easy. I might layer a chunky gold chain necklace with it next time to add some visual interest. For bottoms, I’ve been gravitating towards loose pull-on styles in the same color as my tops. I’ve been enjoying the look of pajama sets, and try to re-create a similar look by wearing matching pants whenever I can.
In the previous post, I mentioned purchasing the Baggu cloth masks. Well, they arrived and I love the shape and colors, but I’m not a fan of how humid they feel in hot weather. There’s obviously some trade-off between protection and breathability when it comes to fabric masks though, so some might prefer a thicker fabric for safety reasons. I’m personally sticking with reusing my more breathable disposable masks when the weather is very hot (the electrostatic filtering property compensates for higher breathability). That being said, I still recommend the Baggu masks, especially for the cold winter months when you might enjoy some added warmth. It’s also worth noting that they wrinkle easily when machine washed and dried, so to keep them looking sharp, you’ll need to quickly press them with an iron, which might have been a deal breaker had I known before I ordered.
We are settling into our new place and I still have so much more I want to share with you all. Maybe I’ll throw in a recipe or a DIY decor project in a future outfit post.
Did you watch the Studio McGee Netflix special yet (Dream Home Makeover)? If not, what are you waiting for?!! I’ve been a big fan since their early days, so it’s exciting to see them get this big. I was crying into my red wine by episode two, lol. But seriously it was a joy to binge watch all 6 episodes in one sitting and catch a break from the relentless bad-news-cycle.